Monday, May 18, 2009

Jessica writes ... (May 09)

To answer your questions: I wasn't able to communicate that well with patients. Hand gestures and basic words ("pain" "lay down" "okay?") helped a lot. I thought my french would come in handy, but very few other than the anaesthetists (who train a bit in France) spoke it.

At the eye clinic, there were lots of cataracts, glaucoma, and sometraumatic eye injuries. In Dr. Sarom's clinic, the patients usually hadgeneral complaints - sore stomach, chest pain, trouble breathing fatigue - or they had appendicitis or an orthotrauma that required surgery. Also saw a c-section, a hydrocele repair, and a thyroidsurgery . The rest was cleft-lip and palate surgeries with operationsmile, and one from dr Sarom's clinic.

Somtimes the volume of patients could be quite low. That is why Will and I suggest asking him to help you connect with other departments at the hospital,like pediatrics, or to go to the eye clinic at other times.

In Cambodia, I did travel a bit. The first weekend was a holiday sothere wasn't much at the hospital. I went to Shianoukville (nice, iftouristy beach)/Kampot (small quiet place, not a lot to do but interesting caves nearby)/Kep (nice beach and seafood) to the south.went on my own but met other travellers along the way (on the bus) thatI hung out with a bit. I was lucky that Operation Smile was in PhnomPenh for about 1.5wks while I was there. I got pretty heavily involvedwith their operations and when they took a trip to Siem Reap, I joinedin

No comments: