Friday, January 5, 2007

Wendy. Univ. Sydney

Hi Will and Theresa,

Thank you both for your replies.

I hope my initial email was not too dramatic. The first few days here
were quite emotional as this is my first real experience of a
developing country and there was so much of the unfamiliar to adjust to.

I should add to my initial observations that the section of Chey
Chumneas dedicated to Operation FIRST shows obvious benefits from the
contributions and linkage with ROSE charities. Dr Sarom's ward and
operating theatre are in much better condition than those of the
general surgery dept. He was pleased to show me the newly renovated
operating theatre and ward, the anaesthetics and monitoring equipment
which had recently been sent from Hong Kong as well as the TV in the
ward which was recently donated from New Zealand.

Dr Sarom gave me a quick tour of the Operation FIRST facilities but I
actually spent my first morning mostly in the general surgery dept.
And while their wards are extremely run down, their operating theatre
did seemed reasonably well equipped.

I have spent the past two days with Dr Vra and his staff at the Kien
Khleang Rehab Center. It has been such a privilege to watch them work.

In the morning Dr Vra's consultation room is bustling with a steady
stream of patients, with up to four or five consultations occurring
simultaneaously in the same room. But there is distinct order to the
ebb and flow of people. A basic test of visual acuity is performed
outside before the patients are sent to see Dr Vra or one of his
medical assistants. After the initial consultation the patient may be
sent to another side of the room to pick up medications, to be
measured for artificial lenses or to receive other pre-operative care.
Dr Vra has a very warm and easy manner with his patients. He also
remembered to give me explanatory asides now and again as I watched
him perform his examinations.

The afternoons at the Rose Eye Clinic are dedicated to surgery. It was
amazing to watch Dr Vra's deft and steady skill up close as he
performed a series of lens replacements for patients with cataracts.
This was the first time I'd ever seen someone getting stitches on his
eyeball!

Even more extraordinary was watching a removal of a pterygium (tumour
of the conjunctiva). The operation involved a graft of the conjunctiva
from one region of the eyeball to another to cover the excised area.
An unbelievably delicate and precise procedure! I never would have
though it possible.

Tomorrow I'll finally get a chance to explore Phnom Penh. Though Dr
Vra's staff have already taken me to a couple of lovely restaurants by
the Mekong River for lunch.

I'm having a wonderful time here.
All the best,
Wendy

No comments: